A long time ago
In a galaxy close by
I finally sat down and watched
The new Star Wars movie on DVD
And it was not as bad as I expected it would be
Yes, it is official, I have just finished watching the new Star Wars movie.
And? what did I think of it?
It is not a great movie, but it is an OK movie. There is a lot to like about it, and in my opinion the female lead: Rey (played by Daisy Ridley) is probably one of the best things in the movie. There was just something about her that worked, and she was very reminiscent of the Chelsea bunned Princess Leia from the original movies.
I like the fact that there was a lot of homage paid to the originals, I could almost hear all of those cheesey lines but in new circumstances, and of course the score just worked for me
Han Solo? probably the best of the originals that appear in it. Even though he is grey and looking much older he has really just become a grey and very much older version of the original. Leia? a wonderful moment when you first see her, and a lot of criticism has been levelled at her, but I loved seeing her again, she brought back the continuity that we needed to re-establish ourselves with the canon of Star Wars. Chewie? he is still as charming as ever, and still as handy with his crossbow.
For me one of the best scenes were the derelict ships on the planet where Rey scratches a living, and of course the usual Millenium Falcon erratic flying sequences.
I liked Finn, he has so much potential, and the new bad guy reminds me on a smarmy accountant with a fancy mask. Snoke? for some reason he reminded me of the Alien movies, there was menace, but on a different level to the original emperor Palpatine.
Without giving the plot away I will admit I was pleased with the new movie, but I did not watch it as a continuation of Star Wars, but rather as a new iteration of an old favourite. I saw the originals in the movies when I was young and while I have seen them many more times before I am glad that there is a new arc to enjoy. I have read some of the books, especially the “Old Republic” line, and they were fantastic, but everything that I read after the ending of the 6th movie was weak. I think I need to go back to the drawing board and consult with my books as to what line this story is taking.
It has been awhile, but the force is still strong in me, even though I am more of a Jabba than a Jedi.
Now for a rewatch… clear my schedule!
© DRW. 2016-2018. Created 30/04/2016.
- Quickly through Cheltenham 11/10/2021
- The Mop is Back (2) 09/10/2021
- The Mop is Back (1) 09/10/2021
- Retrospective: Dune and Shongololo Express 24/09/2021
- Octavia, An Ancient Resident 22/09/2021
- September Anime Roundup 22/09/2021
- Five at a Time 12/09/2021
- Remembering 9/11 11/09/2021
- Retrospective: FotR, Anybody Home? 06/09/2021
- Happy Spring Day 01/09/2021
- The Impala Stampede 24/08/2021
- Tewkesbury Classic Car Festival 2021 (2) 22/08/2021
- Tewkesbury Classic Car Festival 2021 (1) 22/08/2021
- August Anime Roundup 21/08/2021
- July Anime Roundup 25/07/2021
- Gotta Go to Gloucester (2) 21/07/2021
- Gotta Go to Gloucester (1) 21/07/2021
- The Food Van’s Here 14/07/2021
- Retrospective: The Cemetery in the Circle 10/07/2021
- Numbers Milestone 07/07/2021
Most Viewed Posts
- Visiting Vic’s Viking Garage (3,138)
- Krugersdorp Concentration Camp Cemetery (3,108)
- The joy of Model Railways (2,823)
- Heidelberg Transport Museum (2,345)
- Johannesburg Park Station. A 2012 view. (2,273)
- Visiting Rebecca Street Cemetery: Pretoria (2,074)
- Voortrekker Memorial at Emma Park in Linden (1,804)
- Let’s go by bus! (1,543)
- Irene Concentration Camp (1,399)
- Triang Minic Ships (1,255)
- Heidelberg Concentration Camp Cemetery (1,090)
- The End of Reefsteamers? (1,050)
- OTD: Spitfire Maiden Flight (981)
- Remembering the OSV Voortrekker (976)
- Southampton Shipwatch 44: Britannia (961)
- Bad teeth no bar (935)
- Vereeniging Concentration Camp Cemetery (887)
- Modelling the Union-Castle Line (1) (883)
- The Old Roodepoort Cemetery (882)
- The Banana Bridge (882)
- Graves in the Veld: Rietfontein Hospital. (806)
- Graves at Hillfox. Weltevreden Park Cemetery (803)
- Suideroord Concentration Camp Cemetery (757)
- It’s Courage the Cowardly Dog (708)
- Haslar Royal Naval Cemetery (699)