I have 13 Union-Castle ships in my collection (no longer true, as at 29/09/2019 I have 29), but that is not all that is available if you know where to look. Some of the models out there are beautiful and the detail is so good that you have to ask: how do they achieve it in the first place? The major manufacturers are: CM Miniatures, Albatros, Hein Muck and Len Jordan. I have added in a list of models that I know about after the pics.
As at 29/09/2019 my collection now stands at 30 ships of which 18 are metal. Unfortunately trying to get the whole collection together for a group image is difficult.
1st Column (top to bottom): Edinburgh, Pretoria, Capetown, Oranje, Southampton, Reina Del Mar, Llandaf.
2nd Column: Windsor, Athlone, Windsor, Arundel, Rhodesia, Balmoral, Gloucester, Walmer, Iolaire.
3rd Column: Pendennis, Stirling, Bloemfontein, Carnarvon, Dunnottar, Dunnottar, Scot.
4th Column: Transvaal, Oranje, Capetown, Windsor, Warwick, Durban, Rochester.
As at 01/02/2019 my collection (20 ships) stood at:
1st column: Sea Princess, Windsor, Oranje, Pretoria, Llandaf, Dunnottar.
2nd column: Capetown, Capetown, Dunnottar, Rochester, Victoria.
3rd column: Durban, Transvaal, Athlone, Carnarvon, Balmoral, Iolaire.
4th column: Pendennis, Striling, Reina Del Mar, Bloemfontein, Rhodesia.
My collection has since increased to 21+ ships so far and comprises:
Commercial models exist of a number of U-C ships, but they tend to be pricey and not always available. These are some that I know about:
- Albatros AL-173A Saxon
- Albatros AL-159 Scot
- Albatros AL-177A Carnarvon Castle (single funnel)
- Albatros AL-177 Carnarvon Castle (2 funnel)
- Albatros AL-121 Carnarvon Castle (single funnel AMC)
- Albatros AL-180 Windsor Castle
- Albatros AL-151A SA Oranje
- Albatros AL-31 Winchester Castle (2 funnel)
- Albatros AL-31a Winchester Castle (single funnel)
- Albatros AL-79 Windsor Castle (2 funnel)
- Albatros ALK-117 Windsor Castle (2 funnel wartime)
- Albatros AL-137 Roslin Castle
- Albatros AL-145 Norman
- Albatros AL-148 Dunnottar Castle
- Albatros AL-151 Pretoria Castle
- Albatros AL-55 Arundel Castle (4 funnel)
- Albatros ALS94 Iolaire (Donald Currie’s private yacht)
- CM KR-213 Capetown Castle
- CM CM-214 Stirling Castle
- CM-KR CM-KR-50 Edinburgh Castle
- CM-KR CM-KR-51 Pendennis Castle
- CM-KR CM-KR-52 Windsor Castle
- CM-KR CM-KR-53 Transvaal Castle
- CM-KR CM-KR-53A SA Vaal
- CM-KR CM-KR-76 Festivale
- CM-KR CM-KR-54 Southampton Castle
- CM-KR CM-KR-56 Bloemfontein Castle
- CM-KR CM-KR-57 Rhodesia Castle
- CM-KR CM-KR-440 Kenya Castle
- CM-KR CM-KR-441 Reina Del Mar
- CM-S 2009/2 Patris (Ex Bloemfontein Castle)
- CM-KR CM-KR-442 Athlone Castle
- Grzybowski 10A Norman
- Grzybowski G40 Norman
- Grzybowski G23 Warwick Castle (2 funnels)
- Grzybowski G23A Warwick Castle (2 funnel)
- Hein Muck HM-261 Capetown Castle
- Hein Muck HM-262 Capetown Castle (wartime)
- Hein Muck HM-289 Dunnottar Castle
- Hein Muck HM-290 Dunnottar Castle (troopship)
- Hein Muck HM-345 Durban Castle
- Hein Muck HM-346 Durban Castle (Wartime)
- Hein Muck HM-375 Festivale
- Len Jordan LJK-31 Rochester Castle (Operation Pedestal)
- Len Jordan LJK-38 Athlone Castle (troopship)
- Len Jordan Clan Stewart/Kinpurnie Castle
- Len Jordan LJK-39 Stirling Castle (troopship)
- Len Jordan LJM-35 Rochester, Roxburgh, Richmond, Rowallan Castle
- Len Jordan LJL-7 Llandovery/Llandaff Castle
- Len Jordan LJL-18 Stirling Castle/Athlone Castle
- Len Jordan LJL-29 Reina Del Mar (as built)
- Len Jordan LJL-29 Reina Del Mar (Union-Castle rebuild)
- Mercury MY-456 Victoria (ex Dunnottar Castle)
- Navis NM910 Gloucester Castle
- Risawoleska RI-219 Amerikanis (1967) (ex Kenya Castle)
- Risawoleska RI-219a Amerikanis (1997) (ex Kenya Castle)
- Rhenania GLR-10A Norman (Peacetime)
- Rhenania GLR-10B Norman (wartime)
- Rhenania RHE-11 Balmoral Castle
- Nelson Capetown Castle (metal version of HM-261)
- Solent SOM007 Walmer Castle (1936)
A great place to see what is out there is http://sammelhafen.de/index.php?p=uebersicht
And there you have it for now. Not an exhaustive list by any means and always a work in progress.
DRW © 2018-2021 Created 14/04/2018, updated 29/09/2019