“The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry”. The saying is adapted from a line in “To a Mouse,” by Robert Burns: “The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men / Gang aft a-gley.” https://www.dictionary.com/. and this week I saw how true that was. I had planned to head down to London this week to renew my passport. This is not a straight forward thing either as it requires a 3 day stay in London because there is no way of knowing how hard it will be to actually get it done. Limited opening times at South Africa House and the invariable queues can easily turn the trip into a waste of money and time.
However… a storm called Dennis popped into our lives this weekend, bringing nasty winds and rain and flooding throughout Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Wales and other parts of the UK. My personal lake outside my door is menacingly close as I type this, and who knows what tomorrow will bring.
Unfortunately I have already paid out for hotel bookings and train tickets, so shall I go or shall I not? There are a number of wobblies in the way of getting to the the train in the first place. Flooding is already happening on both of the exits out of the area where I live so I am going to end up with wet pants, shoes and feet, (assuming I can get through the flooded area in the first place), then there is no way of knowing whether the train is actually running or not because it travels from Worcester through Pershore and Evesham; all of which are affected by the flooding. I should have taken the train from Cheltenham instead, but decided against it when I made my booking.
Then there are complications like: can I get the tickets cancelled? or can I get them changed? and will I be able to get back home on Saturday? will I suddenly get home to find I have a pool in my flat? And, if all does go pear shaped where in the heck will I live anyway? These things will give me sleepless nights I tell you!
So, in the meantime please hold thumbs for me, and hope that I can get to the train and the embassy and get my passport renewed.
Tuesday 18/02. 07H20.
Water has risen up to the edge of the flats in Mitton and is encroaching on the cycle path. I am now at the point where I will not be able to get to the station, never mind catch a train. It may be easier to cancel my trip altogether.
However, in the midst of all this water I had 2 visitors outside my window. This is not their usual stomping grounds though so I was quite surprised.
The saga continues, however I was able to change my hotel and train bookings to the end of March, so I just hope that by the time I hit that date nothing further goes wrong goes wrong giieu89y(*&^*&T8….
DRW © 2020. Started 17/02/2020