With the much vaunted Medieval Festival just around the corner the town is being festooned with banners. I have very rarely taken notice of it because frankly I know nothing about this period and a lot of the War of the Roses goes over my head. However, seeing as I was in town I thought I would have squizz and see what I could find out. I do not know how many there should be, or what half of them mean, but maybe I will learn more along the way. (My post about the 2018 Medieval Festival has now been completed)
I managed to photograph 45 different banners, and I am sure there were quite a few more. Unfortunately I have not been as good with the information sheets that are usually stuck to the windows of the shops involved. The “key” to each banner is after the table of images.
Out of curiosity, the forces loyal to the House of Lancaster were completely defeated by those of the rival House of York under their monarch, King Edward IV.
1. Sir William Hawte (Yorkish) of Hawland and Waltham, Kent
2. Sir Richard Culpepper (Yorkist) of Oxen Hoath, Kent
4. Sir Thomas Stratham (Yorkist) of Morley, Derbyshire
7. Sir George Neville, (Yorkist) 2nd Lord Abergavenny, of Birling, Kent
10. Sir John Fortesque, (Lancastrian) of Wymston and Shepham, Devonshire
13. Sir John Skrene (Yorkist) of Olmstead, Essex
14. Sir Thomas Tresham (Lanastrian) of Rushton and Sywell, Northamptonshire
15. Sir John Throckmorton, (Lancastrian) of Fladbury and Haresfield, Worcesterhire
20. Sir Nicholas Hervey, (Lancastrian) of Thurleigh and Eastbury, Godalming, Surrey
22. Sir William Boteler (Butler) (Lancastrian) of Bewsey, Lord of Warrington
28. Sir Edmund Grey (Yorkist) of Ruthin, Denbighshire, 4th Earl of Ruthvin, 1st Earl of Kent
31. Sir Humphrey Touchet (Lancastrian) of Swaffham, Norfolk
40. Sir William Allington (Yorkist) of Bottisham, Cambridgeshire
43. Sir Ralph Hastings (Yorkist) of Harrowden, Northants
44. John Walleys Esq. of Devon (Lancastrian)
45. Sir John Done of Uktinkon, Cheshire (Yorkist)
46. Sir William Norreys of Bray and Yattendon, Berkshire (Yorkist)
47. Sir Seintclere Pomeroy of Berry Pomeroy, Devonshire (Lancastrian)
48. Sir John Dwnn (Done) of Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire (Yorkist).
DRW © 2018, Created 09/07/2019