72nd (Griqualand West) Siege Battery: Clyde ‘n Terry Museum Kimberley
These photographs of the South African Heavy Artillery Memorial 72nd (Griqualand West) Siege Battery: Clyde ‘n Terry Hall of Militaria in Kimberley were taken in January 2018 by Diane Van Tonder and are used with permission.
The inscription is followed by the names and ranks of the 167 men who died in the Great War.
This 6-inch 26-cwt howitzers is one of 6 brought back from France and Flanders to be part of the memorials to the South African Heavy Artillery that were established in major centres in South Africa.
The 6 Memorials to the Heavy Artillery can be found in: (Open in new page)
- 71st (Transvaal) Siege Battery: Johannesburg Zoo (Restored 2007)
- 72nd (Griqualand West) Siege Battery: Clyde N Terry Museum Kimberley
- 73rd (Cape) Siege Battery: Company Gardens Cape Town
- 74th (Eastern Province) Siege Battery: Port Elizabeth. Gun removed to the National Museum Bloemfontein to be restored
- 75th (Natal) Siege Battery: Warriors Gate Durban
- 125th (Transvaal) Siege Battery: Near the Union Buildings, Pretoria
DRW © 2018 – 2021. Created 14/09/2018. Images courtesy of Diane Van Tonder. Moved to Musings 26/12/2020