There are two major War Memorials outside Winchester Cathedral; the first, featuring a bronze soldier, is a memorial to the Kings Royal Rifle Corps, who lost their lives during the two World Wars. The soldier was the work of John Tweed who also created the Rifle Brigade Memorial in Hobart Place, London.
The Memorial was unveiled on 24 May 1922.
The inscription reads:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN MEMORY OF
THE KING’S ROYAL RIFLE CORPS
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
FOR THEIR KING AND COUNTRY
IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 – 1918
1939 – 1945
Google Earth co-ordinates for this memorial are: 51.061261°, -1.314484°
The other memorial in the grounds of Winchester Cathedral is the memorial to the men and women of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, as well as the Hampshire Regiment, who lost their lives in both World Wars.
DRW © 2013-2018. Created 27/07/2013. Moved to Blog 09/03/2014, Added inscription and added links and additional info.