These photographs were kindly taken by Ronnie Lovemore in June 2011, and are used with his permission.
This monument to Piet Retief, was originally erected in Coega to the east of Port Elizabeth and unveiled in 1939 to commemorate the centenary of the Great Trek. In 1975 is was decided to move it to its current location in Summerstrand because of its link to Piet Retief. One of the many plaques can be roughly translated as: “This monument stands on Piet Retief’s orginal farm Strandfontein after it was removed from Coega by the “PE Afrikaanse Skakelkomitee” and was unveiled on 16 December 1975″.
This monument to Piet Retief may be found at Google Earth Co-ordinates 33° 59.165’S, 25° 40.167’E.
© DRW 2011-2018. Created 15/08/2011, Photographs © Ronnie Lovemore. Moved to blog 28/01/2014