The Karel Landman Memorial is situated 40 km right off the Alexandria – Port Elizabeth Road on the De Kol-Rant Farm. (Google Earth Co-ordinates 33° 34.707’S, 26° 9.717’E). The architect was Gerard Moerdyk and the builders were the Lupini Brothers. It was unveiled on 16 December 1939 by W.A.L. Landman.
Karel Landman was a Boer farmer who left the Cape with the Voortrekkers who moved northwards, and founded the old Transvaal and the Free State as part of the Great Trek. Landman was the second in command of the Boer forces at the Battle of Blood River. These photographs are courtesy of Ronnie Lovemore.