The “Gloria Victis” Memorial, Potchefstroom

O​n the terrain of the Reformed Church’s Theological School, in its South-Easterly corner,  stands a modest monument in the form of a three – and half meter high obelisk. ​ The lettering on the white marble is worn as a result of exposure to the elements through the years​.
 
 
but on closer inspection the following inscription can be read: 
“Ter gedachtenis aan de oud studenten en studenten van de Theologiese School der Gereformeerde Kerk in den oorlog 1899-1902, die hun leven gaven voor Vrijheid en voor Recht” 
KOMdt. Karel David COETZEE 
KOMdt. Calman Efraim LION-CACHET 
Jacob Philippus MARÉ 
Johannes Abraham VENTER 
Jan Christoffel KRUGER  
————————-
Roughly translated as: 
“in honour of students (of the original Theological School at Burgersdorp)
whom all served and died during the Second Anglo-Boer. 
They were all of the rank Commandant, in name: –
KOMdt. Karel David COETZEE 
KOMdt. Calman Efraim LION-CACHET 
Jacob Philippus MARÉ 
Johannes Abraham VENTER 
Jan Christoffel KRUGER  
 
Known as the  Gloria Victis” memorial, it was originally erected in front of the first Theological School building in Potchefstroom which was founded in 13 February 1905.  The memorial was unveiled on 24 March 1906 by Ds. W.J. De Klerk but it was later moved to its current position, presumably after the completion of the third school complex around about 1950. Current position is at GPS Coordinates -26.693507, 27.097163. 
 
 

Inscription


The “Teologiese Skool Potchefstroom (TSP)”  is where candidate pastors of the Reformed Church in South Africa are trained. It was originally founded In Burgersdorp (In the Free State) in 1869, and then moved to Potchefstroom in 1904, re-opening in 1905.
 
Once the Anglo Boer War commenced in 1899, the Theological School’s students (hailing from the two Boer Republics, the Transvaal and the Fee State) returned to their homes to take up arms (against the British), with fatal outcome for the five students whose names are inscribed on the memorial. After the war  ended in 1902, returning students of the Theological School decided to erect a monument to commemorate their fellow fallen students; and the associated costs for the memorial were funded by the students, and their mutual friends.
 
Further reading (Mostly in Afrikaans)
 
 DRW © 2018. Image and information by Diederik-Johannes Cloete. Two new images added 04/05/2018
 
Blogging while allatsea © 1999-2018. All photographs are copyright to DR Walker or the relevant photographer. Frontier Theme