These photographs of the Donkin Reserve were kindly taken by Ronnie Lovemore in June 2011, and are used with his permission.
The Donkin Reserve was created by Sir Rufane Donkin who established the town of Port Elizabeth in 1820, along with 4000 settlers. In memory of his wife, he constructed the pyramid in the centre of the park, which bears the inscription, “To the memory of one of the most perfect of human beings who has given her name to the town.” The Port Elizabeth Lighthouse was built in 1861 is also located in the reserve and is the home of the Port Elizabeth tourist information office.
The Reserve may be found at Google Earth Co-ordinates 33°57.711’S 25°37.220’E.
© DRW 2012-2018. Created 02/07/2012, Photographs © Ronnie Lovemore 2011