Tag: Walmer

The Prince of Wales Obelisk: Port Elizabeth

This Obelisk has had somewhat of a chequered history and seems to have lost its reason for existing. Currently sited at Bayworld in PE (2011), it has a plaque on it that reads: “Purchased by John Paterson at The London Exhibition of 1862. Intended for the grave of George Kemp. It was instead erected on the Port Elizabeth Market Square where it stood until 1921. The remaining upper section erected on this site 1975” .

These photographs were kindly taken by Ronnie Lovemore in June 2011, and are used with his permission.

Information Plaque

Information Plaque

George Kemp was the business partner of John Paterson; Kemps father would not agree to the use of the obelisk and donated it to Port Elizabeth.  It was then decided to erect it to commemorate the Prince of Wale’s marriage to Princess Alexandra and it was finally erected on 22 May 1863 in front of the City Hall on Market Square.

As erected,  the obelisk stood on a square plinth with three steps leading up to it, later, in 1878, 4 troughs were added and filled with water during a “tap ceremony” when water was first piped to Port Elizabeth.  In 1921, the obelisk was removed and the base, slightly lengthened, was used as a base for the howitzer that made up part of the South African Heavy Artillery Monument.  Two of the water troughs were removed, one finally ending up outside Walmer Town Hall.  In 1933, the SAHA memorial was moved to its present spot in St George’s Park, the base being dispensed of entirely.

Drinking trough from the Obelisk base (1878), now at Walmer Town Hall.

Drinking trough from the Obelisk base (1878), now at Walmer Town Hall.

The obelisk, once removed from its base, was no longer needed and was put in storage until 1975 when it was re-erected at Bayworld. It is known as the Prince Of Wales Obelisk and may be found at Google Earth Co-ordinates   33° 58.667’S,  25° 38.959’E.  A detailed history of this memorial may be found at  The Prince Of Wales Obelisk page on Wikipedia (Page is in Afrikaans).

© DRW 2011-2018. Created 16/08/2011, Photographs © Ronnie Lovemore. Additional information by Carl Hoehler. Moved to blog 06/02/2014

Updated: 06/01/2018 — 12:57

Walmer War Memorial in Walmer, Port Elizabeth

These photographs were kindly taken by Ronnie Lovemore in June 2011, and are used with his permission.

This memorial to the men and women of  Walmer who died during the two World Wars may be found at Google Earth Co-ordinates    33° 58.684’S, 25° 35.135’E.

The drinking trough at the Walmer Town Hall originally came from the plinth that stood in Market Square, Port Elizabeth and on which the Prince Of Wales Obelisk was erected. The trough was removed when the Obelisk was replaced by the Howitzer that formed part of the South African Heavy Artillery Memorial.

It was unveiled on 24 March 1925 and is situated in front of the Town Hall.

Remembrance Day 2001

Remembrance Day 2001

© DRW 2011-2018. Created 29/07/2011, added new pics 30/11/2011. Photographs © of Ronnie Lovemore.  Moved to blog 05/02/2014.

Updated: 06/01/2018 — 12:40

The PAX Memorial in Walmer, Port Elizabeth

These photographs were kindly taken by Ronnie Lovemore in February 2012.

Every now and then you find a memorial that seems to have lost its context, or been vandalised to the extent that its meaningless, and occasionally you find one that has been forgotten.

The PAX Memorial In Walmer is one such memorial that was relevant in 1918, but which lost its reason for existence when when it was overtaken by the horrors of World War 2. Unlike many war memorials that recognises the sacrifice of those that lost their lives, PAX celebrates the outbreak of peace.

Pax.

Pax. 1918

The memorial is a six metre cement obelisk on the Walmer Golf Course at 10th Avenue. It was erected to mark the end of the First World War and is inscribed with the Word PAX (Peace) and the date 1918 on it.

The memorial was unveiled on 19 July 1919 at a lavish bonfire and celebration organised by the residents of Walmer and the Peace Celebrations Committee.

Over time the monument became forgotten and merged with the trees and undergrowth. Renewed interest in the memorial in 1982 did not result in the memorial being moved, and once again it disappeared into obscurity. Today it is probably only ever seen by golfers playing their obligatory 9 holes.

PAX. 1918

PAX.
1918

The PAX Memorial may be found at Google Earth Co-ordinates 33° 58.464’S, 25° 34.491’E.

© DRW 2012-2018. Created 08/02/2012, Photographs © Ronnie Lovemore. Moved to blog 26/01/2014. Images replaced 12/11/2014

Updated: 05/01/2018 — 21:01
Blogging while allatsea © 1999-2020. All photographs are copyright to DR Walker or the relevant photographer. Frontier Theme