The South African Defence Force Memorial at Fort Klapperkop could probably be moved to the extinct category as it seems to have lost its reason for existing, being superceded by the SADF Wall of Remembrance at the Voortrekker Monument.
There are many more names on the Wall of Remembrance at the Voortrekker Monument, and that may be part of the problem. This Memorial does not incorporate all the members of the SADF that lost their lives, whereas the VTM wall does.
Fort Klapperkop was one of four forts constructed in 1897 to protect Pretoria against attacks. It was handed over to the ZAR Government on 18 January 1898. It was surrendered to the British with the fall of Pretoria, and from then on were manned and armed until 1902 by the Imperial Army. The 4 forts were handed to the Defence Force in 1921 and declared National Monuments in 1938. Schanskop and Klapperkop served as military museums but they were closed in 1993 and the forts were purchased by the city council.
The Memorial may be found at Google Earth co-ordinates -25.779524°, 28.210037°
© DRW 2009-2017. Created 22/08/2009. Moved to blog 07/02/2014