75th (Natal) Siege Battery: Warriors Gate Durban
My quest to have a record of all of the South African Heavy Artillery Memorials is one step closer as I can now share images of the SAHA Memorial at Warrior’s Gate in Durban. Special thanks to Carl Hoehler for the information on where these memorial could be found, as well as additional information on the 6 guns that made up the memorials to the South African Heavy Artillery, and to Shelly Baker for all the effort she took to find and photograph the memorial.
This 6-inch 26-cwt howitzers is one of 6 brought back from France and Flanders to be part of the memorials to the South African Heavy Artillery that were established in major centres in South Africa. It is to be found within “Warrior’s Gate” at the corner of Old Fort Road and Masabalala Yengwa Avenue, in Durban (GE Co-ordinates -29.851048°, 31.026746°). Unlike its counterparts in Johannesburg Zoo and Port Elizabeth, there was no dedication plaque to be seen. However, the tompion on the gun does give some indication of why it is there.
The weapon ties into the 75th (Natal) Siege Battery and from the images it appears as if it is in a very good condition, and it is heavily fenced off to prevent illicit harvesting of scrap metal.
The 6 Memorials to the Heavy Artillery can be found in: (Open in new page)
- 71st (Transvaal) Siege Battery: Johannesburg Zoo (Restored 2007)
- 72nd (Griqualand West) Siege Battery: Clyde N Terry Museum Kimberley
- 73rd (Cape) Siege Battery: Company Gardens Cape Town
- 74th (Eastern Province) Siege Battery: Port Elizabeth. Gun removed to the National Museum Bloemfontein to be restored
- 75th (Natal) Siege Battery: Warriors Gate Durban
- 125th (Transvaal) Siege Battery: Near the Union Buildings, Pretoria
© DRW 2017-2018. Created 08/07/2017. Images courtesy of Shelly Baker.