The Prince Alfred’s Guard Memorial was manufactured by Saracen foundry of Walter MacFarlane of Glasgow in Scotland, It was designed and erected by Boyd and Son of Paisley, Scotland, It commemorates the men from the Regiment that lost their lives in the Transkei War (1877), Basuto War (1880-1881), Bechuana War (1897) and the Anglo Boer War (1899-1902), as well as World War 1 and 2.
Prince Alfred’s Guard was established on 19 September 1856 as the Port Elizabeth Volunteer Rifle Corps. In 1860 the title Prince Alfred’s Guard was assumed unofficially and on 11 July 1874 this name was officially sanctioned as Prince Alfred’s Volunteer Guard. The name was later changed to Prince Alfred’s Guard. The Prince Alfred’s Guards Memorial may be found in St George’s Park, Port Elizabeth (Google Earth Co-ordinates 33° 57.827’S 25° 36.373’E ). Images of the Roll of Honour plaques are available on request.
The Drill Hall is the headquarters of the Prince Alfred’s Guard, Port Elizabeth’s volunteer regiment which was formed in 1865. It was opened in 1882 and a first floor was added in 1893. The adjoining land was once a parade ground. In addition to its military functions the hall has been the scene of balls and theatrical productions. It has also been used as a roller skating rink and a hospital. These photographs are courtesy of Ronnie Lovemore.
© DRW 2011-2018. Created 08/06/2011. Photo’s © Ronnie Lovemore. Moved to blog 02/02/2014