There are two war memorials in the open square behind the Liverpool City Hall that is bounded by a large building that seems to have been called “Exchange Flags” but is now called Horton House and Walker House.
The first memorial was dedicated to “the Men of the Liverpool Exchange Newsroom”
Funded by donations raised from members of the Liverpool Exchange Company in 1916 and originally intended to be dedicated to those members who had joined the forces, the emphasis of the memorial changed at the end of WW1 to commemorate members and sons who had sacrificed their lives. Made of bronze and marble by artist Joseph Phillips, the sculpture features Britannia sheltering a young girl with two soldiers and a sailor looking outwards while a Queen Mary Auxiliary Services nurse tends a wounded soldier.
Unveiled in 1924, the sculpture was moved to its current location in 1953. (https://www.cultureliverpool.co.uk/memorials-memories/)
The names are listed on the stonework next to the central dedication panel.
Above the memorial on two columns on either side of it are 4 figures: a female adult with a young boy and a male adult with a young girl. I do not know whether these are part of the original memorial or not.
The Exchange Flags square may be found at Google Earth 53.407654°, -2.992094°
The second memorial is in visual range and is The Unknown Soldier, Liverpool Cotton Association Memorial.
Unusually the bronze soldier stands at ground level having been relocated in 2013 to be closer the ICA’s new office in Walker House.
Commissioned in 1922 by the International Cotton Association (ICA), known then as the Liverpool Cotton Association, the bronze statue of the Unknown Soldier was originally situated in Liverpool’s Cotton Exchange Building on Old Hall Street. (https://www.cultureliverpool.co.uk/memorials-memories/)
There is one further memorial in the square which is neither a First or Second World War Memorial. It is known as the Nelson Monument and it is really a monument to Admiral Horatio Nelson.
It is somewhat of a wedding cake of a monument, with four statues depicting prisoners sitting in poses of sadness and representing Nelson’s major victories, the battles of Cape St Vincent, the Nile, Copenhagen, and Trafalgar.
The first stone was laid on 15 July 1812, and the monument was unveiled on 21 October 1813, the eighth anniversary of Nelson’s death. In 1866 the monument was moved to its present site in Exchange Flags to allow for an extension to the Exchange Buildings.
DRW © 2018. Created 10/06/2018